Sunday, June 7, 2009

Jeff Hanson (RIP)

I just read on the Mercury’s Blogtown that singer-songwriter Jeff Hanson died in a home accident at the age of 31. Months ago, I started, but never finished, a post after hearing Hanson sing on OPB or NPR. It was to have been a bigger post about what seems to be a trend of male singer-songwriters singing in impossibly high voices. Hanson’s voice could easily be mistaken for a female contralto, with a precise crystalline quality that was unworldly and that did not seem to fit the body from which is emanated. Maybe I’ll get back to that post one day.

In the meantime, here’s a video of “This Time it Will” from his record label, Kill Rock Stars:

2 comments:

Stephen said...

Lovely post. I am not familiar with Jeff Hanson... & now maybe too late?
I am a fan of a "girlish" sounding male singer/songwriter- Brett Dennen. Check out his song- HEAVEN.
Thanks for your great blog.

MightyToyCannon said...

Stephen, thanks for pointing me to Brett Dennen. I like it. I'll be sure to include him when I get back to the girly-man voices theme in a later post.