Sunday, June 7, 2009

Horses: A Thematic Post

This afternoon, we went to the Rose Garden Arena to watch a horse show. You can read all about it on my other blog.

In honor of the ponies, I decided to dig up a few thematic songs I like, starting with an obvious choice: Lyle Lovett with “If I Had a Boat.” My favorite line: But Tonto he was smarter, one day said, "Kemosabe. Kiss my ass, I bought a boat and I’m going out to sea."



Here’s a tune called “Horses” by Bonnie “Prince” Billy (Will Oldham). There’s another version on YouTube from his Lost Blues album, but I like this one best:



For a little different feel, how about if we close with Patti Smith with her groundbreaking song, “Horses”? This 1976 performances was recorded for the "Old Grey Whistle Test"--a great music show from the BBC. (The Multnomah Library has a few compilations from the show on DVD).

2 comments:

Stephen said...

If I Had A Boat is on my TOP TEN ALL TIME FAORITE SONGS list & was on a list of songs requested of readers by Davis Stabler, of "music you want to be played at your funeral/memorial service", that was submitted & published in The Oregonian. I love your taste in music & have discovered some gems from your blog. Thanks for the good writing.

MightyToyCannon said...

I hadn't thought of "If I Had a Boat" for a memorial service, but it would be a great choice. Not a bad statement of life philosophy.